August 13th, today, is Left-hander’s Day. And on top of all the other things I could bitch and moan about being in the minority of, being left-handed is one that spans across all creeds and seems far more plausible and playful in its celebration. I stand firm in my admiration, pride and empathy for fellow left-handed hotties (’cause one thing that I have noticed about all the left-handed people I know is that we’re all kind of hot). I don’t know why, but there’s something about adversity that’s sexy, no?
I found this article on Jezebel’s website and had to share — like Kai Ryssdal would say from NPR’s Marketplace, “Let’s do the numbers”.
- There’s only 10% of us in the entire population of humans.
- Studies show that we die earlier and are more likely to become alcoholics, schizophrenic, delinquent, and dyslexic.
- Five out of our last seven presidents have been left-handed.
- 4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer are/were left-handed.
- Studies show that there are more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people; Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin were all left-handed.
- BONUS: left-handed women are sexier, smudged handwriting and all. It’s just a fact.
Tell me some of the issues or triumphs you’ve had as a left-hander — or of a person who sleeps with, eats with and writes with that charmed individual.